I hope you enjoyed last week's list of fiction picks! This week I have the survey results for the best nonfiction summer reads.
Part of relaxing during the summer months is letting yourself escape into the lands of fiction and make-believe. But did you know that a recent study from the National Endowment for the Arts shows that nonfiction reading is up 3% since 2008.
So if you're wondering what everyone is reading - especially your fellow teachers, here's what they had to say.
Non Fiction Books
- The Missing Voices in Edtech by Rafranz Davis - This book offers leaders and teachers a reflective journey into diverse perspectives on technology as it is used and understood in our schools.
- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi -her memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution told in powerful black-and-white comic strip images.
- The Next Step In Guided Reading by Jan Richardson - find structure and tools to meet the challenges of meeting the diverse reading needs of students.
- The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod - create an empowering morning routine and become a morning person with purpose!
- Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess - a motivating book to help you teach beyond your comfort zone.
- Better than Before by Gretchen Rubin - an accessible and relatable book on changing our habits and living the life we want.
- Grunt: The curious science of humans at war by Mary Roach - “A mirthful, informative peek behind the curtain of military science.” (Washington Post)
- The Reading Strategies Book by Jennifer Serravallo - This book is only the "good stuff!" ...from strugglers to gifted students...from pre emergent readers to Level Z readers
- The Holy Bible - the ultimate instruction book for life!
- The Daily 5 by Gail Boushey and Joan Moser - a literacy framework for incorporating balanced components throughout daily curriculum decisions.
General Non Fiction Categories that Teachers Love
- Organization hacks
- Self help
- Cookbooks and cooking magazines
Wishing you a relaxing, informative and enriching summer no matter what you choose to read!